RE: Lack of self-awareness in a writer...what to do

Subject: RE: Lack of self-awareness in a writer...what to do
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 07:10:16 -0700

Tom has to go.

Sit him down, tell him why, wish him well, wave goodbye.

If you want to be warm and fuzzy about it, then put him on a 30-day
probation and list the things that he will be measured against (process,
writing guidelines, style guide, etc.). Keep a daily journal of the things
that he does that cost you and the company time to repair (if he releases
something prematurely and you have to do damage control).

IMHO, you're not flat out of ideas, you're flat out of ways to hold his hand
and still get him to be independently productive.

Put the burden on Tom, not you.

- Jim