RE: Grammar Question

Subject: RE: Grammar Question
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Eddie Hollon'" <eddiehollon -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:23:04 -0700

A general and valid, assumption about readers of English sentences
(regardless of native language) is that they will be able to read at the 7th
grade level and understand a simple composition of an English sentence. In
this case, the sentence, according to Word, has a Flesch Reading Ease of
100% and a Flesh-Kincaid Grade Level of 1.5. I would not expect that a
technical writer would post a grammar question to this forum for an audience
that cannot read at the second grade level.

Additionally, adding "will" to the sentence raises the grade level to 1.8
because of the addition of a word. Adding "will" and qualifying "it" by
stating instead, "the picture," raises the grade level to 3 and lowers the
reading ease.

Even non-native English speakers should be able to read at the second grade
level. In some cases, words and an phrases that are simple for native
English speakers may require adjustment for non-native English speakers, but
when the sentence is composed for a second grader, then we can assume that a
non-native English speaker will, or should, understand it.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList