Re: Lack of self-awareness in a writer...what to do

Subject: Re: Lack of self-awareness in a writer...what to do
From: "Emily Alfson" <ealfson -at- peoplecube -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 08:53:53 -0400

I feel like I've worked with Tom... or someone very much like him, and management's lack of dealing with him was a big factor in my decision to leave the company. Employees like this can frustrate, aggravate, and even drive away good employees who are pulling their weight.

At a previous job, my team had a Tom, a dead weight who managed just enough to get by. The frustration wasn't that he didn't follow process, it was that he refused to learn the process. It was ok that he didn't know the process, it was relatively new. Anyone on the team would have gladly helped him. But he refused to learn, and would lie to get by. That's what I draw the line.

I'm a big fan of giving someone a solid chance. Sit down with Tom, be straight with him, and explain things. Work out a plan to help him come up to speed. If he doesn't do it, get rid of him. He's dead weight. Lose the bad ones so you can keep the good ones.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList