RE: "face time" at the office

Subject: RE: "face time" at the office
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "Janice Gelb" <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:23:33 -0500

I think Nancy's hit the nail on the head -- one of our best writers
works almost completely remotely, and is succeeding admirably -- he
states, however, that the extra effort required to do so is large, and
is only succeeding insofar as the rest of the team is willing to extend
themselves to ensure good communication.

Homo Sapiens are social creatures (thought most technical writers may be
the exception that proves the rule), and the amount of decisions made,
designs hatched, features added and subtracted regarding projects (in
the software development world, at least) is very large indeed -- while
good project management CAN overcome this tendency, it doesn't take much
to leave a remote working without a clue, and working in a manner that
just doesn't support the overall effort.

This, of course, is no the fault of the remote employee, but it is
something that has to be managed.

rosberg