RE: FWD: Employment question

Subject: RE: FWD: Employment question
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "H Arnold" <harnold103 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:15:43 -0500

If you were dismissing the candidate for his/her political/religious
views only, I believe the answer would be yes, it WOULD be unethical.

When interviewing candidates, I try to keep two, broad categories of
attribute in mind.

1 -- skills/experience -- these enable the person to contribute in their
role

2 -- how well will the person work within the existing team --
copy/paste "these enable the person to contribute in their role"

If a writer were to be able to sit their their cube (or at home) with no
face to face contact with the team (writers, developers, QA folks,
training professionals), their working well with the team would be of
much less import, I believe.

Since that is likely NOT the case, excluding a candidate on the basis of
a lack of a good "fit" is perfectly reasonable.

There are likely many candidates available with the skills/experience
you need -- someone with those skills AND who can compliment (as opposed
to equal) the team already on the ground are much more rare. Id' rate
the two categories as being roughly equal in importance.

rosberg