RE: QuarkXPress 7 vs Adobe InDesign CS

Subject: RE: QuarkXPress 7 vs Adobe InDesign CS
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Reffelt, Sheila" <Sheila -dot- Reffelt -at- alcoa -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:29:56 -0500

Hi, Sheila --

Here's what I can tell you. I used both Word import and the table
feature often in a prior life, but in the interest of full disclosure,
I'll also admit I haven't worked with Quark daily in a couple of years,
and I don't have a Quark reference on my desktop at the moment. So a few
general comments and then I'll point you to some resources.

* Table or not, make sure the Word file you'll be exporting is as clean
as you can make it. Get rid of unused styles, extra spaces, hidden tabs,
and similar formatting crud before trying to bring anything over.
* Quark has been able to handle tables since the advent of the Table
Tool in QXP 5, and QXP 6 advanced that tool's somewhat basic
capabilities. As I recall, I spent some time tinkering at the table cell
level to get the formats that were underlying the table to show up once
I'd brought it to Quark. You may need to do some upfront style
definitions in Word, too. I would not be surprised if things were a
little more straightforward now that QXP 7 versions are available, and a
little digging should confirm whether this is so. In Quark's own words
re: ver 7: "In QuarkXPress 7, table features have been enhanced to
support splitting tables, running headers and footers, and transparency
controls that extend to individual cells and borders. With the
QuarkXPress 7 tables features, you can easily combine text and graphics
and benefit from tight integration with Microsoft Excel for both design-
and content-driven grids."
* I found the "Real World" and "Bible" series of Quark books very
helpful. Check
http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-QuarkXPress/dp/0321350308/ref=pd_bbs_2/
105-2878600-0412452?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181662794&sr=1-2 for details on
David Blatner's update of his work for QXP 7. Blatner's version for QXP
6 has a significant discussion of tables.
* Anne-Marie "Her Geekness" Concepcion provides an excellent list of QXP
resources at: http://www.senecadesign.com/designgeek/quark.html.
* A post to the QXP list, a search of its archives, or both are probably
your best bets for the most current answers and/or the ones most
pertinent to your setup. Again, check out
http://www.siclist.org/mailman/listinfo/quarkxpress. A search such as
the following may turn up another useful list or two to query:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1
&q=quarkxpress+list&spell=1.
* FYI, there's a detailed description of a process for bringing an Excel
table to QXP at
http://www.quark.com/service/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6384, at
http://www.creativepro.com/story/howto/22921.html?origin=story, and
another helpful article on imports, also focused on Excel, at
http://www.senecadesign.com/designgeek/dgarchives/designgeek18.php#excel
tables. I realize we were talking about Word, but some of the process
should be transferable. Worst case, you could select the table in Word,
paste into Excel, and import the worksheet. Personally, I never had to
do that.
* Finally, you might also consider XTensions, such as the tool suites
that include table offerings from Gluon or onOne (QX-Tools) software.

Jim