RE: Medical Disability/Contracting/Jobs

Subject: RE: Medical Disability/Contracting/Jobs
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'TECHWR-L Administrator'" <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:28:54 -0700

Hey Anonymous,

What state are you in? That is a factor in some cases. Look through the
ADA's website for information that affects you and look to your state for
the agency that handles fair employment and employee rights.

ADA: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

Here is California's DFEH web site for comparison or if you happen to be in
California: http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/

Your local Labor Commissioner's office can be of help too, but they won't
handle this type of case, except for the part where you were required to
work for more than 40 hours a week. You have some constitutional protection
there, although protection varies by jurisdiction.

California's Labor Commissioner: http://www.dir.ca.gov/

>From my understanding, an employer cannot discriminate on the basis of
disability, but they can reject employees with disabilities that will
interfere with performance on the job. Like blind people cannot drive
buses. Whether your asthma interferes with your job requirements
sufficiently is debatable.

Additionally, if your workplace is adding to your problems of asthma, for
example, there is new carpeting or you have a co-worker that smokes, then
your employer will need to make reasonable accommodations for you.
Generally, I think, you do not need to discuss disability in the interview
process, but you do need to tell your employer before you start work if your
disability is sufficient enough to require accommodation, I think. I would
not say too much about disability in the interview myself. I need certain
accommodations, like I can't be surrounded by a lot of people or near
smokers. I don't usually mention these and I only mention them when there
is an issue.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList