Re: This too is technical communication

Subject: Re: This too is technical communication
From: Troy Klukewich <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 10:25:00 -0700 (PDT)

<quote>
While I agree with this on a large scale, I think it varies from position to position. I work in a small office and I am the only technical writer here.
</quote>

As contributors, we can wear many different hats, especially for smaller, growing companies. I think as long as the roles are clearly defined, no harm done. As companies grow, they sometimes forget to delineate those roles, each with their own expertise. They get mixed up and the technical writing role is weakened.

The offshoot is that most companies will find at some point that their organically grown documentation infrastructure does not scale, is extremely expensive to maintain, and does not localize well, costing hugely more than an entire documentation team to translate. That's where the field of technical writing itself with well established best practices needs to step in.

Ideally, even in a small company, the individual writer can provide documentation leadership, ensuring that deliverables are built on a solid foundation with the future in mind. It's not easy, though, when handling multiple disciplines at once. It's also hard to think about the future when the present is bearing down. That's why we should make the big bucks. :-)

The upside is the more global perspective from fulfilling multiple roles feeds into whatever one focuses on later. Plus, you can always move over into another discipline when things are slow.

When I worked for smaller companies, often fulfilling multiple roles and working with less than optimal documentation infrastructures, I still always did my best to write consistently, clearly, and with clearly defined documentation types. These three points alone go a long way to safeguarding the longevity of documentation in a growing company. These might seem basic, but most of the problems I've seen, especially the more expensive ones, are due to failures on these very points.

Working for larger companies now, I find that I still work with smaller companies through acquisitions, so the infrastructure issues I've seen are surprisingly common.

It goes back to individual writers defining and advocating for ongoing, maintainable, documentation quality.

Troy