Re: Commnicating with an audience of low literacy levels

Subject: Re: Commnicating with an audience of low literacy levels
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "Condo, Candis" <ccondo -at- c-cor -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 15:36:19 -0700

Condo, Candis wrote:
> Hmmmm. Back in the dark ages when I was in a grade school, we learned
> to read by reading. Fancy that. I walked to a library (no, my parents
> did not drive me there; my mother did not drive, my father traveled)
> and I borrowed books. I then took them home and read them. There were
> not a lot of books in my home. My parents were not avid readers but I
> read as did all my five sibs. Librarians took an interest in us and we
> all love to read to this day.

Flashback to the book mobile that used to come around to my neighborhood
for a couple of hours a week in summer. What a relief that was, getting
new stuff to read.

> So what's the secret? Turn off the TV. Turn off the video games. Pick
> up a book and read.

Yep. My point about volunteer tutoring was that it can kickstart
reading, and that is enough to change a life, at least that's how I
think of it. I've often thought about how happy I might be in jail, with
nothing much to do but read. But the life of crime, that's not me, I
just like to read.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList