What's This? Help

Subject: What's This? Help
From: "Eric Thomas" <ethomas -at- ftdi -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 08:56:06 -0500

Happy Friday, everyone!

One of the projects I inherited has What's This? Help. It actually has two
flavors of it: the .h/.txt file version in one portion--which has been easy
to maintain--and help created using the What's This? Help Composer in
RoboHelp. The latter has been causing me problems due to new technologies
used by my development team; sometimes it is impossible to get focus on the
control in the Composer to attach the appropriate help. In some cases, the
developers have grouped controls, or have hide/show on controls depending on
context, and What's This Help Composer just isn't robust enough in its X5
glory.

It looks like MadCap Flare doesn't support What's This Help yet (if ever),
and I'm not certain if RoboHelp 6 from Adobe has any improvements in this
area.

Does anyone know if there has been any update to What's This Help Composer,
or if there is another tool with similar functionality. Personally, I'd like
to scrap all of the field-level help, but there is fear on the team that we
would be taking away functionality if we do so. There is also wide
skepticism that reimplementing it using the .h/.txt file combination is a
good use of time on anyone's part. So I'm left with the choice of either
finding a better tool or dealing with an incomplete implementation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList