Ideas/resources/thoughts on evaluations and metrics?

Subject: Ideas/resources/thoughts on evaluations and metrics?
From: Amy Dohlman <amdohlman -at- uwalumni -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 17:04:47 -0500

Hey all,

My team is starting to attack the idea of metrics: how to measure our
customers' satisfaction with the documentation we produce and with the
process we use to produce it. (If you're familiar with the training
world, what we're trying to measure would be analogous to the level 1,
2, and 3 evaluations that training seeks to collect.)

We've come up with some ideas on how to capture this sort of
information: "rate this article" sorts of brief surveys for documents
in our repository, surveys for our customers at the completion of
projects, comparing productivity and error measurements before and
after documentation to judge effectiveness, setting up guidelines or
grids that help determine what sorts of evaluations to do for which
types of projects, those sorts of things.

We're in the information gathering stage, so I'd like to hear about
any of your experiences with these sorts of metrics - do you have any
advice for us? Any best practices? Any resources or websites I should
look to for more information? Ideas on how to go about gathering this
sort of information, or what to avoid? We're aware that surveys have
low response rates, and that correlation is not causation, and of
those sort of related pitfalls, but any information that you could
share about how you implemented (or didn't) your evaluation methods
would be very helpful.

I work for a large insurance company, and my customers are other
internal business areas and teams, but I'm interested in all
evaluation implementation battle stories, both internal and external.

Thanks so much in advance.
Amy Dohlman

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList