Re: A Good Problem, but a Problem Nonetheless...

Subject: Re: A Good Problem, but a Problem Nonetheless...
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:37:21 -0400

My situation is eerily similar, but I do get to do some software
documentation. I have been strongly encouraged just to "format" things
(make-it-pretty-would-you?) and not do fact-checking or much editing at all.
On several occasions, I was told not to change anything, period, even
though the documents were incredibilty inaccurate and would not be
understandable by an average person. It's frustating.

I discovered during that period that I am really perceived as being in a a
"clerical" position. That was discouraging. I will probably move on
sometime later this year, but for family reasons. However, I do have to say
that things are much better than when I started a couple of years ago here.
As a lone technical writer, we do have to educate others--it's just part of
it when we are the "first one."

You have several options.

1. Find another job (always an option).
2. Discuss, with your boss, options for (slowly) adding more technical tasks
to your job, as part of a career growth plan, and set some goals to do that.
My suggestion would be to have that all planned out on paper with a schedule
(first quarter, second quarter, etc). Set up a meeting and provide your boss
with copies of your plan. Discuss how you need to continue to grow as a
technical writer and to add more value for your company. Avoid at any cost
disparaging what you are doing now though!
3. If you have training requirements and budget, add technical topics to
your training plan. Or, if that is not an option, start taking some classes
on your own. Let your boss know you will be doing that on your own time.
Again, stress the need to grow in your field :-)

The emphasis should be on adding value to your company by increasing and
broadening your skills.
Other's suggestions about setting up templates and perhaps hiring a
contractor are good ones too.

Good luck with your dilemma.

On 4/22/07, TECHWR-L Administrator <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:

> Forwarded anonymously on request. TECHWR-L Admin.
> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
>

> I could really use the input of the TECHWR-L community here.
>
> After seven years as a contractor, I took a full time job four years ago
> as a lone tech writer (at a 600 person company who never had a tech
> writer before). It has been a great run - I have a reasoonable workload,
> a grea deal of latitude about how I approach my job, and respect at all
> levels of the company. So what's the problem?
>
> In addition to my TW background, I also have a diversified business
> background. I would like to focus on the technical end - document
> software, run SQL queries, write release notes, etc. My director is
> trying (and has been all along) to direct me to the business end, and I
> wind up doing a lot of business document "font fondling" on things like
> business continuity plans, operating budgets, Org charts, etc.
>
> My concern is as follows:
>
> * I want to focus on the technical end, and am concerned I'm losing
> skills and knowledge
> * I suspect she may be trying to keep me in her own area for her own
> needs (I really feel that it's a waste of my company's time and money to
> have me prettying up operating plans, when there is a great deal of
> technical writing needed by other areas.)
>
> Here are my questions:
> * Is my situation typical? Are any of you in a similar one?
> * Are my concerns about losing my skills justified?
> * Should I raise a flag about being a wasted resource?
> * A I out of line to say that I want to focus on technical matters, and
> that I feel it's not the best use of my time and their resources to have
> me where I am?
>
> -Long Time Techwrler

> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> Now shipping: Help &amp; Manual 4 with RoboHelp(r) import! New editor,
> full Unicode support. Create help files, web-based help and PDF in up
> to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual: http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList