Re: WinHelp Conversion to HTML Help

Subject: Re: WinHelp Conversion to HTML Help
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:21:50 -0600

On Tuesday, April 10, 2007, Keith Hansen wrote:

> Can anyone think of any compelling reasons NOT to convert to HTML help?

No :)

My personal recommendation (FWIW :) is that anyone who has
WinHelp projects convert those to some other format as new
versions of the product are released. We have been using Doc-to-
Help to convert our existing HLP projects (which were created
without the use of a HAT -- just MS Word 95 and a template). There
has been relatively little work on the help authors' part -- or the
developers' -- to switch from HLP to CHM, and many of our
products are loaded with context sensitive help.

The only issue would be that if your customers need to access the
CHM via a network, you may want to look at some other output
format (such as "NetHelp" or "WebHelp" -- name and functionality
vary depending upon your tool). For reference, see Microsoft KB
896358 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358

Regards,

Dana W

Dana Worley
Software Product Manager/Manager, Software Support Group
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
Microsoft MVP, Windows Help

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList