Re: Giving up on XML

Subject: Re: Giving up on XML
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:57:54 +1000

Chris Borokowski wrote:
> Human intelligence seems to rule the day, or human
> discipline. While I see the advantages to structured
> communication, I don't know if writers can be forced
> to use it.

Not sure what this means exactly - we offer one
authoring tool to our writers and it uses a
structured DTD. The structure rules are built
in and the publishing tools won't accept a
document that isn't in accordance with the DTD.

I agree that writers can still produce badly
organized documentation even in a structured
authoring environment but the odds do go down.

> At the end of the day, structure comes from
> project leadership and oversight.

Certainly true, and input from the writers is
crucial for the rules of the structured
authoring environment. The point of the exercise
isn't to punish the writers but to enable them
to write in an organized way without having to
worry about appearance or fiddling with design
tools.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address