Re: Rant... please let me help you fix the user interface

Subject: Re: Rant... please let me help you fix the user interface
From: "Mike Starr" <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:05:51 -0500

First, there is no alternative development... as I said before there are
three programmers and me. That's the extent of the company. Our only
involvement with the parent is pretty much hands-off and they don't have
their own development team because they don't do software at all. So there
is no successor product... any development will be modification of this
product.

The situation seems to be that we're getting close to having sold our
product to as many of the potential customers in our niche as possible. The
customers we haven't sold to are the ones who manage their business with a
blackboard or slips of paper in the owner's pocket and who're fairly
tech-averse. In other words, I think we've just about reached the plateau.

So, in order for us to be able to continue we need to move into an adjacent
niche and it won't be hard to do that with some fairly simple changes to the
product. Once we do that, we'll be able to target a whole new marketplace
that's closely related to our current market niche.

At the moment, when I talk to my boss and the parent-company manager we
report to, both acknowledge that we need to try to move into that
marketplace but there doesn't seem to be any commitment to taking steps to
getting us there. I'm inclined to believe that if we don't do something
soon, we'll just wither on the vine.

Even though I'm there as a contractor with no actual stake in the outcome, I
believe in the product and the potential of the expanded marketplace. I want
to see it do well.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer