Re: Rant... please let me help you fix the user interface

Subject: Re: Rant... please let me help you fix the user interface
From: "Mike Starr" <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:31:51 -0500

Those are definitely considerations I've been taking into account. The user
base for this product is much like you describe but the changes I'm
suggesting (for the most part) are changes that don't stray too far from the
existing interface. Mostly they're along the lines of changing a dialog box
that uses two or more variations on the same term rather than using the same
term consistently.

However, we're definitely in a very narrow niche market. But with some
fairly simple changes we can start selling into a much broader related
market. The reasons management is resistant to change is more a perception
on their part that prettying things up doesn't add any value and the
programmers should be spending their time on new development or bug fixes.
They don't perceive flaws in the user interface as bugs... rather they
perceive them as things I'd like to have done that really aren't important.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer