RE: What do I call this doodad?

Subject: RE: What do I call this doodad?
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: <cloy -dot- tobola -at- ndsu -dot- edu>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:49:30 -0400

Cloy Tobola wrote:

What do I call this doodad?

I need to refer to use of a flash drive / USB drive / thumb drive.

Is there a standard term for these ubiquitous doohickeys?

Hi Cloy,

You mean other than "Made in China?" (Hey, that's what mine says...)

I've heard flash and USB. Wikipedia calls them "Flash Drives." Others call
them jump drives, keychain drives, or disk-on-key; although these seem to be
acronyms or jargon.

I call them removable USB drives on first occurrence, then USB drive
thereafter. My suggestion is to call it one of the industry names on first
occurrence with an list of equivalent names, then use your selected
reference for the rest of the document. Of you can call it doohickey....

Al