RE: Rant: Giving up on XML

Subject: RE: Rant: Giving up on XML
From: "Hickling, Lisa (TOR)" <lhickling -at- Express-Scripts -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:29:41 -0400

How fair is it to blame proponents of a documentation structure for the
failings of the industry to produce supporting tools for that structure?
So, XML writing and delivery tools aren't yet fully matured. This
doesn't mean that we shouldn't begin now to prepare for the benefits of
structure.

I'm a huge fan of DITA even though I don't think the opportunity to
implement it as an XML solution is on the horizon for me. DITA's
information taxonomy benefits are numerous and have made me more
conscious of the types of information that I produce and linkages
between types.

I agree with Eric, we are starting at the wrong end if we jump head
first into an XML implementation without dry running and appreciating
the concepts.

That's my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation and time value.

Lisa H.
GTA, ON

From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com

The lack of comprehension of the basic reality that neither XML or
Docbook
are tools is astounding.

******* Confidentiality Notice *******
ESI Canada -- Optimizing the value of drug and dental benefits

This email, its electronic document attachments, and the contents of its website linkages may contain confidential health information. This information is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and arrange for the prompt destruction of the material and any accompanying attachments.

******* Avis de confidentialite *******
ESI Canada -- Optimiser la valeur des regimes d'assurance medicaments et dentaires

Ce courriel ainsi que tout document y etant joint de meme que le contenu des liens vers des sites Web peuvent reunir des renseignements confidentiels sur la sante. Cette information s'adresse uniquement a l'usager ou a l'organisation auxquels elle est destinee. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez en aviser l'expediteur immediatement et proceder a la suppression du document et des fichiers joints sans tarder.