RE: Pet Peeves

Subject: RE: Pet Peeves
From: "elizabeth j allen" <eja -at- samurai -dot- com>
To: "Gordon McLean" <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- GrahamTechnology -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:30:29 -0400 (EDT)

>From Wikipedia:

It is often claimed that the term originally referred to the maximum
thickness of a stick with which it was permissible for a man to beat his
wife.[1] This explanation for the origin of the term was popularized in
the opening of the 1999 movie The Boondock Saints. <endquote>

This is only *1* of *6* possible origins for the phrase.

Also from Wikipedia:
A rule of thumb is a principle with broad application that is not intended
to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation. It is an easily
learned and easily applied procedure for approximately calculating or
recalling some value, or for making some determination. Compare this to
heuristic, a similar concept used in mathematical discourse, or in
computer science, particularly in algorithm design.

The term "rule of thumb" or similar stands in many languages and cultures
for "quickly understood, easily used, practical method yielding
approximate results".

<endquote>

Frankly, to avoid a term with a commonly understood usage that is
appropriate simply because the origins of the phrase may be questionable
is utterly ridiculous. Someone wants us to stop using a phrase because it
meant something different in 1692? Words, their meanings, and dictionaries
evolve with time. I like to think my thinking evolves as well. "Rule of
thumb" is not sexist or bad, however the phrase may have originated over
400 years ago.

My rule of thumb: if it conveys the meaning you want to convey, use it.

Elizabeth
--
Elizabeth J. Allen
Technical Writer