Re: How to document a programming language?

Subject: Re: How to document a programming language?
From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:40:04 -0500

There are essentially two parts to documenting a computer language. The first part, often initially constructed in an esoteric or incredibly concise fashion by the creator of the language, is a reference manual. It answers the question, "What are the parts of the language and how are they legally put together?" The second is the "language user's manual" and it (if properly done) addresses the problems to be solved. Both are hard to write, but the former is easier to get reviewed. The latter may suffer from incompleteness merely because it lacks examples that no one's thought of yet.

It's helpful to make the reference manual match a standard format that's easily used by the programmers who will be using it. It's not necessary that you understand every nook and cranny of the language to do this.

Writing the user's manual requires direct assistance of a programmer who understands how to get good results from the language, and who is willing to prepare examples, and perhaps to help you write some. When in the course of writing examples you discover pitfalls (e.g., "never use variables beginning with underscore (_) outside of a macro definition; the compiler will crash with no error message...") that weren't addressed in the language spec or the reference manual, by all means put them in. There *will* be a lot of them. If you don't find any, you've missed them.

In most situations there is not enough time to write both manuals and to do them well. In retrospect, as you hear the users grumble about the insufficiencies of the reference manual and the non-existence of the user's manual, make notes for a future project.
--Peter Neilson

An entity who calls itself <technical writing plus> suggests: