RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 06:27:00 -0800 (PST)

Older educational systems favored general
intelligence, but newer ones favor making little
clones that can be programmed with whatever is
desired. It makes students feel impotent and
resentful. Look for more school shootings in the
future, etc.

That's all I was trying to express with the flippant,
useless and all-around bad comments about high school
educations having the potential to be more than four
years of jail.

On another topic, I think most technical writers
benefit from the kind of skills required to teach high
school. We transform a surly, bored, cynical audience
into believers into technology through awareness of
the power they can have through it. Even if it's as
simple as organizing an addressbook or formatting a
doument in XHTML.

--- Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
wrote:
> 1) Meeting deadlines. Hello?
> Are you saying that you need a named-and-numbered
> college-level
> course on the topic before you can understand it and
> do it?
<gap>
> 2) Usability is NOT just usability studies, and by
> the way, how
> many of us on this list actually GET to perform real
> usability
> studies (and are we therefore not real techwriters,
> and if we
> DID get trained how to run usability studies in
> techwriter
> school, do we stand adamant and refuse to work if we
> aren't
> given a mandate to perform usability studies)?

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.