RE: Dori's post -- working on one thing at a time

Subject: RE: Dori's post -- working on one thing at a time
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:03:24 -0500

Jim Shaeffer wrote:

Staying isolated in a writer's cubicle can contribute to lessening the
perceived value of the work you are doing, no matter how good your
performance
reviews are.

*************************

And when my performance goals include hitting the project milestone
deadlines -- which means creating 10 new forms and 30 new detailed work
instructions and thorough indices of 50-page documents as well as all of the
clerical tasks associated with that work (approvals, copies, distributions,
ad nauseum) -- and walking around the plant is not required to do that work
because I walked around the week before and efficiently gathered the
information I needed --

-- and my boss is saying "we're lucky to have you" --

Well, I just don't have time (or energy) to worry too much about anybody
else's perception. To hit those crazy goals I have to write just about as
fast as I can type.

After we have our formal rollout of the new quality management system (late
this month or early next month), I will be doing a daily plant walk-through
because my visibility will then be part of my daily task list and we'll be
adding document audits into the mix. Until then, it doesn't fit into the
schedule.

And I do resist this, and I recognize what Jim was cautioning. Fire fighter
heroes stay when cost-cutting time rolls around, and fire prevention geeks
tend to disappear. It ain't fair, but that's the way it works.

Dori Green