Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>, "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:23:37 -0800

In my experience in dealing with upper management I have never once
in 15 years been told to select the least expensive candidate. The
typical process is that a top figure for the opening is defined based on
the local market data (most commonly the Radford compensation
surveys, STC salary survey and the salaries paid to current staff). I try
to find the best candidate I can regardless of compensation sought and
then cross my fingers and hope the amounts are compatible. If not, I
then make my case to upper management that based on our needs and
the candidate's qualifications the budget figure should be fudged to
enable us to hire.

Oh, and on my job descriptions education requirements are at the
bottom of the list of qualifications. The best candidats have learned
by doing and can put me in touch with people they have previously
done things for.

Gene Kim-Eng