RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC

Subject: RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:09:51 -0000

Oops! Definitely Friday - I'll try again!

My own view on certification is that I'm (generally!) for it but I see
it working at two levels.
LEVEL 1
I see this a indicating 'core competencies' that every TWer should have
and which should be taught in every TW degree... This would include
Writing skill - English, grammar, rhetoric etc
Information gathering (task/audience analysis)
Science and technology - basic programming/physics/electronics
Graphic design - layout, page design etc.
Basic business - marketing etc.
Anything else you think we should all know!

I see this level as sort of benchmark. Anyone employing a Level 1 writer
should feel reasonably confident that the writer will meet a minimum
standard. How would this be done? Here in the UK there's no
certification as such but members of the ISTC must meet minimum
requirements before they can join - assessed by the Council based on
experience, education etc. On the job front I've noticed jobs
advertised that now say ISTC member preferred so, while not
certification, employers are noticing.

LEVEL 2
I'd assume that most if not all writers on the list would already have
level 1 either through education or experience. Level 2 is probably what
I'd be more interested in and would be 'pick 'n' mix' from a set of
options. They'd be specialities where having certification might/would
set you out from the crowd. Some possible things covered might be...
Documenting APIs
Proposals
Networking
QA
Etc.

These are options I'd go for to perhaps increase my employability,
broaden my options etc.

Damien

Damien Braniff
Sr. Technical Writer