Re: Why oh why oh why

Subject: Re: Why oh why oh why
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 04:17:19 -0600

Your original post that mentioned different truck makes reminded me of what I often tell recruiters when they ask me about whether I have experience with a specific software tool. I tell them that I've been doing desktop publishing, word processing and graphics with a number of tools, all of which I've learned on my own in a matter of an hour or so. The sum total of my formal software training is a one-week course in Visual Basic in 1994.

I ask them what they'd say if they got a job requirement for a truck driver to drive a Peterbilt and they had a great candidate who'd driven Macks and Volvos and IHCs for 20 years but never a Peterbilt. Would they send the truck driver to the client? You betcha. The headlight switches and the tachometer might be in different places but a truck is a truck. When it comes to DTP, kerning and leading might be in different places but when you know how to use 'em, that's 95% of the skillset.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer