Pointers/recommendations for portal software?

Subject: Pointers/recommendations for portal software?
From: <sintac -at- home -dot- nl>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:39:17 +0100

L.S.

I've been tasked with finding a web portal package that will allows us to provide common access for all our forms of customer communication (training materials, documentation, marketing docs, white papers, bugs, etc.). I have identified a few, from Talisma (top end complete package) to PortalApp (low end open source), but trying to sort the wheat from the chaff, and the packages we want from a plethora of related packages and technologies (CIM, DM, CRM, ERM, etc.) is proving to be inordinately time consuming. My timeline is incredibly short (vendor demos, 1st week of March; definitive selection, 1st week of April), so I appeal to my peers ... any recommendations?, and pointers or tips?

Before you all rush to your keyboards ... IMNSHO, organizations are like people, they need to reach a certain level of maturity before they are ready for content management. Try to introduce it with a big stick and it will fail with almost as much certainty as the sudden introduction of democracy in a tribal culture. We have come an incredibly long way since I introduced a wiki a year ago, and this could be seen as the next step, but we aren't ready for content management yet ...

Regards, Simon North.