RE: Video vs The Written Word

Subject: RE: Video vs The Written Word
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:21:31 -0500

Gregory Sweet wrote:

...I can do all of those things with my smart phone and Windows movie maker,
though I much prefer the more powerful Premiere Pro. Don't got me one of
those fancy iPod thingies, but the wife does. She'd have the additional step
of somehow getting the avi or wmv to the mp4 format (lot's of freebies out
there that do that, or so I am told). I also believe one has had the ability
to note the timer/counter/relative needle position on a recording since,
well since they started making recordings. Also , if those were
requirements, a properly designed FLV player could allow you to do all of
those things as well.

BTW-Didn't people make the same comments regarding the Internet. I recall
one of my journalism profs, while looking down on our HTML independent study
class, admonishing: "Why bother, you can't take your computer to the
bathroom with you. And that's where most people read the paper." Well again,
my smart phone (which utilizes wifi networks) and most other cell phones,
proves her wrong on that one, too....

Nobody said you couldn't do it with your smart phone, we were talking
quality not ability. Also, I fully embraced the Internet since the
beginning and used it back when I was a business reporter and video
producer. (Oh...and you're smart phone "uses" wifi, not "utilizes" wifi.) It
all depends on whether you want to create crap or something useful. You're
analogy of using a timer/counter/relative needle position, indicates that
convenience to the user for finding information does not concern you. Those
old methods could find a relative position within a production, but they are
not accurate, nor are they convenient. The world has come a long way from
those old styles of recording, but nothing replaces planning and
professional delivery.

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-658-3140
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)