RE: Video vs The Written Word

Subject: RE: Video vs The Written Word
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:59:24 -0500

Arguments for videos are accurate.

In a regulatory environment like mine (ISO), one big drawback of video
instruction is its excruciating detail. If that's how we show it must be
done, _exactly_ that is _exactly_ how the job must be done, by every worker,
every time.

One of my tasks as the resident quality system auditor as well as lead
technical writer is to keep people from including unnecessary detail in the
work instructions. I don't paint myself into corners, either. And yes, I
really love that Corel Paint Shop Pro option of converting photos into
pencil line drawings (I then go in and take out unnecessary details with the
eraser tool). These are obviously official, easy to read by those who
don't/can't read words, and general enough that they seldom need changing
even if there are tweaks and improvements to the process.

Dori Green