Re: User Guide or User Manual

Subject: Re: User Guide or User Manual
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Said B <said_bazry -at- sigma -dot- co -dot- id>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:46:18 -0500

I have always thought of a User Guide as more informal and perhaps suited to the beginner, while a User Manual would be complete, containing more information than any beginner could properly use.

Imagine that the Widgitoid Company has both kind of books. The lightweight User Guide could be entitled "Using the Widgitoid System" or "Getting Started with Widgitoid." The heavy User Manual might be called "Widgitoid Reference Manual" or "Don't Drop This Widgitoid Manual On Your Foot."

The User Guide might be organized by possible tasks to be solved and would contain copious examples. The User Manual would be alphabetical, contain few, if any, examples, and might give no clues on mapping the information onto a problem set. It might even contain substantial useless or deprecated material.

Others may have ideas that are different from (or totally opposed to) mine.

Said B wrote:

Dear Listers,
I have been searching for sources on the Web explaining the difference
between "User Guide" and "User Manual" but still could not find any. I would
appreciate if any of could give me information on this.