Last-line justification in InDesign CS?

Subject: Last-line justification in InDesign CS?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:59:36 -0500

This one's got me scratching my head. I'm using InDesign CS (on a Mac, though that should make no difference). In defining a paragraph style, I can set the text alignment to "Full justify" in the Indents and Spacing part of the style definition, and I can set the single- word alignment to "align left" in the Justification part of the style definition. So far, so good.

Here's the problem: in the layout that results, many of the lines in paragraphs are poorly spaced because the composition engine valiantly tries to fully justify the last line of the paragraph if it's longer than about half the line width. There doesn't seem to be any way to specify that the last line should not be force-justified. I can do this manually by opening the Paragraph formatting palette; the fourth icon is "justify with last line aligned left", and that solves the problem perfectly. But I don't want to have to do this manually, paragraph by paragraph, for an entire book.

If I edit the hyphenation settings to allow much more hyphenation (in the Hyphenation part of the style definition), the problem becomes less dramatic, but the tradeoff is that I end up with enormous numbers of hyphens. Not really an acceptable tradeoff. If I disable hyphenation, spacing improves, but then I'll have to manually tweak all the typography, which I'd prefer not to do.

So: Any way to set the "don't force-justify the last line" property directly in the paragraph style? The online help... isn't. <g>

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
Coming soon: _Effective onscreen editing_ (http://www.geoff-hart.com/ home/onscreen-book.htm)