Technology Product Managers (was Re: Writing test Fridays)

Subject: Technology Product Managers (was Re: Writing test Fridays)
From: Kelley Greenman <writinglists -at- inkworkswell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:45:56 -0500

This is somewhat off-topic, so replies offlist please.

I'm being heavily recruited for the position of technology product manager with several companies. I have a background in project management and training publication manager -- but in very small companies whose only focus was the production of training material.

And that is one of the reasons I'm only looking to work for large companies, at the moment, to fill in that gap in my experience.

Still, I'd never heard of the position before. I did a little research and it sounds plausible -- and it makes sense as to *why* my resume would stand out: I have demonstrated experience as a developer, content developer, and designer. One of my key skills *is* being able to work and communicate across design, tech, content, and business development, and I'm especially good with the latter.

It all makes sense, to me, but I'm naive as to the ways of large, bureaucratic organizations, far more familiar with the 'wear many hats' environments of small companies. I was looking for a reality check. Is the position title just glorified "project manager"? Perhaps those of you who've experienced such managers directly would know?

Thanks in advance!

When you need to communicate, Ink Works!
http://www.inkworkswell.com
+1 (727) 942-9255
+1 (484) 906-9255