Re: QA plan help

Subject: Re: QA plan help
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Susan Hogarth <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:05:01 -0800

Susan Hogarth wrote:

<snip>

I've been handed a 'qa plan'
to edit that looks more like a (not very detailed) protocol.

If (heaven forbid!) you're looking at a case of a SME who has trouble articulating and recording what they know, (and that little SME glitch is not rare, and may explain the thing they've written), then you owe it to them to scratch a little at the opacity of their QA plan, and help them find a good technical writer to tease the details out of them and write the plan for them. Bingo?

I look on the web, and many so-called QA plans seem to be of the same
nature. Any input as to what a QA plan should do, and how? Should ti
detail the process itself, or *just* elements to assure quality of the
work?

I don't have any experience with QA plans, sorry, but the logical outgrowth of most technical planning is a Detailed Plan. It might first be written as a general plan, but I would expect it to eventually be written to address each requirement (from the QA protocol), and to detail how each requirement will be tested during the QA process.

IOW, the protocol has to specify what QA's requirements are: spell check? diagrams? engineering specs verified? calibration performed and recorded correctly? You know, QA is there for a reason, and the reason is reflected in their QA protocol(s). This seems recursive to me, but I'll post it anyway, and hope it helps.

In vacuo,

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com