Re: The 'user' in User Manual

Subject: Re: The 'user' in User Manual
From: "Tara Charter" <tara -dot- charter -at- physiciansmutual -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:25:54 -0600

4th: "Upon initial login, the system displays the new user welcome message."

Sarah Bouchier wrote:

> >In my opinion, using 'you" in instructions sounds like verbally
> stabbing
> >finger at the reader. In some contexts, and to some people, that is not
> >rude. In others, however, it is.
>
> I think we're all agreed that instructions should use the imperative :)
> In my experience, however, it's not in the actual instructions where the
> need to actually pick 1st, 2nd or 3rd person creeps in, it's in the
> descriptive or conditional bits round the edges. For example:
>
> 2nd: "The first time you log in, you will see the new user welcome
> message."
> 3rd: "The first time the user logs in, they will see the new user
> welcome message."
> Passive: "Upon initial login, the new user welcome message will be
> presented."
>
> None of them are +wrong+, but as a user I'd be more comfortable with the
> first.

> Sarah Bouchier
> Technical Author
>
> exony
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include single source authoring, team authoring,
> Web-based technology, and PDF output. http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> Now shipping: Help &amp; Manual 4 with RoboHelp(r) import! New editor,
> full Unicode support. Create help files, web-based help and PDF in up
> to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual: http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as tara -dot- charter -at- physiciansmutual -dot- com -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tara.charter%40physiciansmutual.com

> http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.

This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged
information, and are intended solely for the recipient named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for
delivery to the named recipient, you are notified that any review,
distribution, dissemination or copying is prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, you should notify the sender by return
email and delete the message from your computer system.