RE: Associate Degree in Technical Communications

Subject: RE: Associate Degree in Technical Communications
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: <dlang -at- terracom -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:22:18 -0800

An Associate Degree can show that you have some education. The Technical
Communications certificate that some colleges offer may also be good. Your
resume will say more about your abilities than your educational background,
but education can show potential that isn't demonstrated in your resume and
nearly any education will improve your marketability. Your better off
getting a degree when you have the opportunity than trying to maintain a
career without one.

Without a degree you will need to demonstrate your abilities through years
of experience. If you don't have that many years of experience now, then
you are probably better off getting the degree because the market is
competitive and getting the jobs to get the experience are a little more
difficult these days.

I started my career with a little education and education in technical
writing, but no degree. That went well for 10 or so years. I finally had
the opportunity to complete my bachelor's degree, so I did. I think that it
helps because I don't have to answer as many questions about how I have
developed my skills. Education is also good because it offers assorted
writing experiences that are not available outside of the education.

Lauren