Re: Version control software

Subject: Re: Version control software
From: Troy Klukewich <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "Broberg, Mats" <mabr -at- flir -dot- se>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:05:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mats:

While at Borland, my documentation engineering group
implemented Subversion+TortoiseSVN for storing XML and
associated images.

All writers used the system and loved it, especially
with the intuitive integration of the Windows File
Explorer. A number of writers told me that they did
not want to go back to a more traditional tool with a
separate user interface.

We set up a short web page to cover what to install
and some getting started material. That was about it
for training.

>From a back-end perspective, Subversion+TortoiseSVN is
very powerful and flexible, really an open framework.
We were able to quickly deprecate an ASP.NET/DB tool
that we used for tracking XML meta-data by tracking
the settings in SVN. Our XML automation scripts in ANT
also integrated and worked well with SVN.

Best of luck with your decision.

Troy Klukewich
Senior Manager, Documentation
And Documentation Services