Re: Younger tech writers?

Subject: Re: Younger tech writers?
From: Nauman <naumansohail -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:30:08 +0500

Am i your friend :-P Anyways I am turning 25 on march 25 :-) so a younger
writer eh! I have been in technical writing field for two years plus seven
months of experience as an emarketing engineer for palm Inc. in vertical
place. At there, I designed the e-newsletters and new product offer web
pages using a CMS and a campaign management system. But after sometime of
look-busy-do-nothing sort of job, i quit to find some more challenging
position as i was so much wasting time and couldnt land into a better place.
Techncial Writing had brought so much to my life that I wouldnt have the
other way that much experience in learning different products. I have an BS
Hons in computer sciences and lot of poeple ask me what the hell am i doing
in this field and only writing manuals n stuff...

Sometimes I do feel that is it like that I will be doing technical writing
all my life and be nothing else, not climbing up the role and responsibility
ladder ??? These are some questions I think other poeple would do consider
to ask themselves. I hope somebody might answer these questions as if there
is a chance to become a business analyst or anyother high profile job to
justify one's self to be working on a management level position.

I have developed and written guides, manuals, brochures, press releases,
requirement and functional specifications for software projects, webhelp and
html help with context sensitive ID mapping using the famous Robohelp tool
and ofcourse the king MS Word but not forgetting the Wize Wizard -
FrameMaker :-)

How are my chances to grow in this field? I've worked in multinational
companies with specialization in telecommunication industry products and
construction.

On 1/25/07, David Loveless <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

I'm also young (28) and have been in this field for going on 6 years.
I started by writing employee manuals and tour guide manuals in my
spare time. I entered the realm of software in college documenting a
language program for a university department. After graduating with a
BA in English, I entered the corporate world and have been happy here
ever since.

On a related note, I just hired a technical writer intern who was
around 23-24, I have a good technical writer friend who is 25, and can
name a dozen more technical writers off hand right around that same
age group.

We're out there.

Dave

printed documentation. Features include single source authoring, team
authoring,

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as naumansohail -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/naumansohail%40gmail.com

Regards,
Nauman.