Writing samples

Subject: Writing samples
From: "Susan Hogarth" <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:30:57 -0500

I have -always- been rather stupid about not saving writing samples. I
know I can make mockups, but sheesh, it's like pulling my own teeth to
get me to write 'when I *know* I'm going to get paid, so that's a bit
far-fetched.

So here I am; in a position where I was hired with really very little
(OK, almost ZIP) skills in what I'm doing (proposal prep) and I feel
that I've got a great opportunity to learn and develop. I'm really
grateful to my employer for the opportunity (not that he doesn't
benefit from the relationship, mind you!) and now that I feel less
paniced about the sink-or-swim thing (this week I seem to be swimming)
I think I actually really really LIKE what I'm doing (which scares me
a little - what kind of freak am I, anyway?)

But. Naturally I have to think ahead. Naturally I want writing
samples. Natrually proposals are extremely proprietary, and naturally
I don't want to even begin to broach the subject of setting aside bits
for a 'portfolio' when I have no intention/desire to look for work at
present.

So... what's a good plan? Some proposal bits are pretty genereric
anyway and can be made even more so - I'm constantly re-using parts.
Should I take some of those 'parts' and develop them as 'Company X
proposal' so that at least I have some example? But even stripped of
all proprietary info, would I still need permission to use them?

Thoughts?

--
Susan Hogarth
http://www.colliething.com