Re: FYA

Subject: Re: FYA
From: "Susan Hogarth" <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:11:28 -0500

On 1/19/07, Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com> wrote:

... I
was shrill in hinting that the work approached plagiarism simply because
it didn't nominate for credit those others who have riffed on, or
written about, the same object. The New Yorker column still gets under
my skin, yes, because in a world that is fractally elaborated with
funny, interesting, unique things (not to mention their metaphors) that
require little or no direct experience or observation to write about, it
just strikes me as something past odd that a writer/humorist would land
on 'shower curtains' for subject matter unless it was an attempt to
coat-tail on the successful work of the subject's earlier writers. But
now that I see the emerging tradition of shower curtains as a
challenging subject that attracts (and will doubtlessly continue to
attract) the most athletic writers, I have no more problem with it as an
unoriginal topic. What a fool I've been.

That was beautiful! :)

--
Susan Hogarth
http://www.colliething.com