Re: Release notes, customer support and product managers

Subject: Re: Release notes, customer support and product managers
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Carrie Baker <carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:32:12 -0800 (PST)

> When complete, I sent to a distribution list that included customer
> support manager.
> I was surprised when he told me that he had last approval of these
> RN

Carrie...in our system, Cutomer Support also has "last right of
refusal". To us, he is "the customer". He installs my product using
my instalation instructions as if he was the customer and for any
software process changes, he speaks with the customer's voice.

He also is involved in almost every review of all of our
documentation and I take his comments more seriously than any product
or project manager since he can kill a product as easily as anyone
else.

Howerver, my CSM acts like a professional and is a pleasure to work
with.

> I feel that the Release notes turned into a free for all.

I thought they were by definition.

> As far as I am concerned the Product Managers have final
> approval for this document. I can't take comments from all
> and sundry.

Why not. I yearn for multiple feedbacks.

> What do you suggest I do to prevent this happening next time?

1) Understand that the customer service manager should be taken
seriously.
2) Not think you are the one who decides what approvals are
necessary.
3) Take comments from everyone who receives a draft for review or
approval. If you aren't going to be taking the comments seriously
from everyone to whom you end a review document, why are you wasting
their time?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."