RE: Offer Letter

Subject: RE: Offer Letter
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
To: <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:52:51 -0800

I was trying to post this to the forum and not just to you. I need to remember to reply to all. Well this answer is going to all.

For my own business, I think that I will start with smaller businesses and expand my writing services beyond technical writing to include proposals, plans, and other little business stuff. I have enough to build a somewhat decent portfolio. I am still working, so I can afford to do small jobs while I get going. Once I get my business going, I can compete with recruiters.

Recruiters tend to behave like spawn. There are small LLC technical placement companies that stick around for a little while, have some sort of inner "conflict," and then go their separate ways to form new companies. They are so instable that I think that I can gain a good marketing edge just by selling myself as "stable." I don't know if I will ever want to market myself to the big corporations, but if I wanted to go that route (I might try for "fun"), my first step would be to call their HR department and find out how to get on their "preferred vendors" list. For the State of California, you need to be a CMAS contractor, or at least work with a CMAS contractor. I have a friend that is one who will work with me if I wanted to bid for a state contract. He is also a disabled veteran (technically and legally, but not personally) so he can get priority for bids.

The "Well-Fed Writer" books are a good resource and kind of inspiring for me. My last attempt in having my own business ended in frustration with sales and a really good offer for a full-time job. Now I think that I will take the LLC route, but I am still looking at incorporation. I think that being an LLC in this business is getting some respect these days, but I need get more information about costs and assorted benefits and risks.

Lauren