Re: Dia as replacement for Visio

Subject: Re: Dia as replacement for Visio
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
To: Tara Charter <tara -dot- charter -at- physiciansmutual -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:14:21 -0800

Tara Charter wrote:

Has anyone successfully replaced Visio with Dia? When I download the files, I cannot find anything
that appears to be an executable.
I ass/u/me you're running Windows...
From the page
http://dia-installer.sourceforge.net/download.php

You download the GTK installer and the DIA installation package, which are both zip files.
The DIA installer zip contains only the installer exe file- not too hard to find.
If you are running Win XP, Explorer will let you look in zip files and run stuff from them easily.
If other Windows, then there are many free/FOSS archve programs available.

I've played with Dia a bit, and find it less than impressive.
It does work, but seems to have substantial limitations.

While the other mentioned OSS is arguably "good enough" for most purposes, I think Dia has a ways to go.
Rebuttals or enlightenment welcome....

Regards
Jay