Re: Company sale

Subject: Re: Company sale
From: "Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Clare Keating" <clarekeating -at- mac -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:26:39 -0500

On 12/28/06, Clare Keating <clarekeating -at- mac -dot- com> wrote:

If you were a VP in a company and you were about to be bought out by one of
three companies, how would you proceed to attempt to secure your position in
the new company (and your position is potentially redundant with other
positions in the buyout company)?

It's hard to answer this without much more information, but the
question itself sounds bad: it sounds like our hypothetical VP is more
or less completely in the dark about the coming acquisition, and
that's not a good sign.

Three potential buyers sounds like either a feeding frenzy (you're hot
and people really want to buy you) or a desperation sale (there's some
value left and the owners are itching to bail.)

If I were a senior manager, the acquisition process was well along, my
position was obviously potentially redundant, *and* I had not been
approached by *someone* higher-up (ideally my direct boss) bearing
good news or at least a friendly word about what to expect going
forward, I would update my resume, contact my favorite executive
headhunter, and make plans to move on, because I would assume that no
plans were being made to retain me.

--
Barry Campbell -- <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
Blog: http://campbell-online.com