Re: Thinking like a user, or sticking to tried and true?

Subject: Re: Thinking like a user, or sticking to tried and true?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:07:28 -0500

David Castro wrote:

However, in thinking about what my users are like (my SMEs are also
net techs), I realize that they're going to immediately skip the
overview and jump right into the nitty gritty. So, the question is
whether to think like a user and leave off the overview, or create one
because "there's always been one" and because "it's good practice to
start by telling them what you're going to tell them and end with
telling them what you told them."

Which do you do when you're faced with this decision? And why?

I started in this industry as a technician and you are right in believing that your user will go directly to the meat of the document and pass the fluff; however, saying that, I would also glance over the overview if I was unfamiliar with the device/system I was working on. So, I would give them an overview, but make it brief. Most of your users will pass it by, but there will be enough that need to read it to make it worthwhile.

Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt