RE: Unusual Employment Agreements

Subject: RE: Unusual Employment Agreements
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:08:16 -0800

>John Posada said:
>>Richard Lewis wrote:
>>
>>An agency just emailed me an employment agreement to sign with two unusual
>>clauses:
>>
>>1. I agree to pay the agency $2000 if I sign the agreement and then change
>>my mind and do not show up to start work.
>>
>>2. I agree to pay the agency $2000 if I leave the contract job before it
>>is scheduled to be completed.
>
>Cross them out, initial the crossout, then sign the form or under them,
>write in that they agree to pay you $2,000 if the contract ends before the
>defined date.
>
>Chances are, it will elicit a discussion ending with a compromise or a
>deletion.

I have seen this (I wonder if you're working for the same company). The
first clause is ridiculous since I doubt it cost the company $2000 to get
you in, unless there was relocation costs involved.

And the second is a little extreme.

What I did was pretty much what John suggested. For the first, I took a cue
from an insurance policy, crossed out "change my mind", and wrote
~"unforeseen circumstances including, but not limited to, acts of God, death
in the family, childbirth, etc.".

For the second, I simply copied what I've seen on every contract that I've
ever signed: "You reserve the right to quit this position without notice
and the employer reserves the right to dismiss you without notice".

I didn't get any resistance to this. HTH.

- Jim