RE: Your Start Date Ever Changed?

Subject: RE: Your Start Date Ever Changed?
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:11:57 -0800

>Richard Lewis wrote:
>
>Has your start date for a contract assignment ever been delayed, and you
>felt funny about it? Such just happened to me; my start date was just
>delayed from mid Dec to Jan 2.
>
>Let me play devil's advocate: One might think that they knew all along
>that the start date was Jan 2, but, they lied and gave me the earlier start
>date in an attempt to knock me out of job searching weeks before the actual
>start date. After all at this point, I have already emotionally committed
>to the job and, as the holidays are now upon us, why not just take it easy
>until Jan 2.
>
>Experiences?

You're joking, right?:^) Please allow me to set your mind at ease. I went
through this twice with two different companies recently. And I believe
that "the holidays" is a convenient way to get someone to commit early to a
start date that's actually after the first of the year.

Before finally accepting my latest position, I was interviewed by
Toyota...back in early November. After the interview I received weekly
emails from the recruiter stating that, for various reasons, there was a
delay, thus the start date was being moved back. When the start date came,
the recruiter sent another email stating that we could now get started on
the background check, drug test, etc. I couldn't deal with that. Why
couldn't we have done this while I was waiting? So I declined the position
to find something right now. The new start date as it turned out was
1/5/07.

I was also contacted by a recruiter back in September, and promptly sent my
resume for that position. The recruiter did the same thing above and
faithfully contacted me weekly saying that there were delays. The main
reason being that the hiring manager had to interview at least three people,
but I was the only person who applied.

And, if we use your advocate theory, yesterday's phone call was perfectly
timed. I was told that my resume was finally being given consideration and
that they wanted to interview me...before the week of Christmas...so that I
could start (you guessed it) on 1/8/07.

- Jim