RE: Interviewing Strategies

Subject: RE: Interviewing Strategies
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:46:26 -0800

>Al Geist said:
>>classe -at- charter -dot- net wrote:
>>
>>I just replied to this note stating that he was arguing and using crude
>>language. It made for a very bad first impression.
>>
>>I agree no relationship is perfect (have been married almost 30 years),
>>but in my mind a company lobby is no place to argue with someone on a cell
>>phone, especially when you are going on an interview and trying to impress
>>folks at the company.
>
>Had we known in the original post that the argument contained loud and
>crude language, then my original comments would have been different.
>Unfortunately, we were only told that the prospective employee was
>overheard arguing in the lobby with his partner by the receptionist who
>told the HR manager who told your manager.

Seriously, I cannot get my head around this (not you, Al, just the camp that
thinks a valuable resource may have been pre-judged), with or without the
crude language.

This is the scenario that I imagined.

Ted has just finished his interview, used the restroom, and is walking past
the receptionist towards the door. His cell phone rings. The person on the
other end says any one of the following, which I consider to be the worst
things you could hear:

1. "Ted, I'm leaving you and running away with the milkman"
2. "Ted, I just sold your baseball card collection to by drugs"
3. "Ted, I can't pick you up until American Idol is over"

If you imagine yourself in Ted's shoes, what would you do? Personally (and
believe me when I say that I would be the first to speak my mind), I would
be able to keep it together until I was outside the doors, as I believe most
of us here on this list would do. But this isn't what Ted did. Based on
the info above, Ted said something like this:

"I don't give a [expletive] if you [insert name of conflict]! Get your
[expletive] [expletive] down here now you {expletive]!"*

But even if he had said the above in a loud tone without the expletives, his
behavior is simply not okay in the workplace. I don't know where you guys
have worked, but if I had done something similar, the following day my
manager would have greeted me with "Hi Jim, we need to talk".

- Jim

*Creative license exercised.