Re: Review Process for CHM File

Subject: Re: Review Process for CHM File
From: "Kamran Rasool" <krasool -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Paul Hanson" <phanson -at- quintrex -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:48:27 +0800

Hi Paul and Kathy,

Thanks alot guys, your tips and suggestions are valuable. You have solved my
biggest problem and I have got some really good ideas after looking at the
issue differently from your point of view. I am going to deploy a new review
process from CHM docs.

Once again, Thanks guys :)

Regards,
Kamran

On 12/12/06, Paul Hanson <phanson -at- quintrex -dot- com> wrote:

***Disclaimer: I do not use VSS or any source control software. ***

From where I'm sitting, it is complicated. There's two issues that are
intertwined like the Rush rhythm section during "YYZ":

1) authors making changes to content that is being reviewed
2) how to get feedback from reviewers when the content to be reviewed is
in a CHM file.

For 1), I think the bottom-line is there has to be a "cut" or "freeze"
of your CHM file. After your "cut," you need to provide all these depts
with the same version of the same content and give them a due date of,
say, 1 week from the day they get it. Part of your instructions to them
needs to include which areas each group should focus upon. Then, during
the review period, do not allow any author to make any changes to the
content that is being reviewed.

For 2), I can tell you what I do. On each of my HTML pages, I use
Javascript to create a customized Feedback section you see when you are
looking a Microsoft page in their KB, with the "Was this information
helpful?" etc. section. When our users fill out that section and click
Submit, an email is sent to me. The way my feedback thing works is I get
the name of the HTML file within the email. *IF* you have something like
that, it would be relatively easy for someone to read the content, then
use that survey to say, "Yes, looks good" or "No, needs work" and to use
the name of the HTML file as a check list within your RoboHelp project
by marking the reviewed files with an updated status <your choices are
"In Progress," "Complete" and "Ready for Review." You'd need to have all
your files set to the same way, say "Ready for Review" and then when the
reviewers start submitting changes, change the status to "Complete."
Then you could run a report to get something like this:

In Progress
Topics: 908
Estimated Time: 0 hours

Ready for Review
Topics: 0

Complete
Topics: 3
Total Time: 0 hours

So that's one stab at it. You are definitely right, though, that a MS
Word doc and track changes would work very well.

Paul Hanson
Technical Writer
RoboHelp ACE -
http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/robohelp.html