RE: Review Process for CHM File

Subject: RE: Review Process for CHM File
From: "Kathy Bowman" <Kathy -dot- Bowman -at- saabsystems -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "Kamran Rasool" <krasool -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:55:11 +1030

Hi Kamran

re:
How is it possible to get the CHM file reviewed?

We have two levels of review. The first is basically a technical review
of contents, and for that I send a chm file (zipped to get through
email) to the developers or SMEs. I include a cover note that explains
what I want them to review, ie everything, or a limited set of topics.
(If the CHM is new or has changed a lot I will also get a style and
structure review done by another tech writer if I can.)
The reviewers go through the chm - all or partial depending on what is
required. In a few cases reviewers will print topics and mark them up
with changes, and other times they will return a list of comments to be
actioned. The reviews are actioned, and then the chm is sent for a final
review.

The final review looks at the quality control things. The final reviewer
(Configuration Manager) looks at the (zipped) project files and delves
deeply. Our CM prepared a set of instructions which he uses for checking
the CHM files, and I will send them to you separately (as an
attachment). They are pretty long, but I think you will be able to get
some ideas there.

Basically he checks the date stamp on files to see which ones have
changed. He also uses the text for spell checking, and for comparing
text to find changes. He also manually checks links on changed pages.

regards
Kath Bowman