Re: 3D in PDF files

Subject: Re: 3D in PDF files
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:57:32 +0200

Erika,

You wrote:

Are we up to the stage of importing a 3D CAD file into Word that turns
into manipulable 3D when converted to PDF? From what I've read this is
not yet possible, but I might have missed something.

Inserting a 3D model into Microsoft Word, which upon conversion to PDF becomes a interactive 3D model, is possible but requires a special version of Acrobat called Acrobat 3D (similar to Acrobat Professional 7 but with additional 3D capabilities; version 8 of Acrobat 3D should be released soon).

After Acrobat 3D is installed, the PDF Maker toolbar present in Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint has a fourth icon ("Insert Acrobat 3D Model"). Notice that "Enable accessibility and reflow with Tagged PDF" has to be turned on in PDFMaker settings, or else the 3D model will be present in the PDF as an image only (with no interactivity).

All Acrobat 7.0.7 versions or later (including the free Adobe Reader) can be used view/manipulate/annotate the 3D models in PDF.

Anyone done 3D in PDF and if yes, with what tools?

I primarily use FrameMaker and have developed an add-on that supports the inclusion of 3D models in FrameMaker files, so that interactive 3D models (along with their specified features such as views), are automatically present in the PDF file upon distilling. Sample PDFs produced this way are available at http://www.microtype.com/TimeSavers_Assistants.html#3DAsst

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants