RE: Opportunities in Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Opportunities in Technical Writing
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 15:24:46 -0800 (PST)

> You mean Posada? Yeah, he's crazy. Crazy like a fox.
>
> ****************
>
> I wasn't going to mention any names -- that injunction
> against openly discussing salaries has been beaten into
> me by experts (and I'm honestly embarassed by the salary
> I've agreed to for this job, but I love the work, I
> really want to live in this area for a while, and money isn't
> always the only consideration when a decision is made.

I'm sorry, Dori...but who are these "experts" and what is the reason
someone shouldn't mention salary? We discuss rates, don't we? All a
salary is the rate they give you for a year, rather than per hour or
per day.

As far as being a crazy guy on the list, I've been active on this
list for over WELL over 10 years, contributing almost daily that
whole period of time. I speak my mind, I give advice when I think it
would help, and ask questions when I need to know how to do
something.

I don't pull punches amd I try speak opennly and honestly. I like to
think that what I say when someone asks something is what I'd want to
hear if I'd asked it. I also don't bullsh**. However, in this case, I
wasn't totally honest when I said I earned $100k. In reality, it's
$99,000 and it's composed of $85,000 paid weekly plus $14k split into
quarterly payments. I'd be happy to fax a stub to you, but then you'd
have to reciprocate by appologizing publicly on the list and to the
many other writers who earn more than that...let me know if you'd
like to take me up on that offer.

> I've agreed to for this job, but I love the work, I
> really want to live in this area for a while, and money isn't
> always the only consideration when a decision is made.

Money is never my only consideration...in this case, availability of
educational opporunities was more more than money. I happen to love
what I do at a place I really enjoy...it's the best gig I've ever
had. If I didn't, I couldn't get in before 9am and leave close to 8pm
every day. However, it is a factor.

My advice, which obviously won't be taken, is to enjoy your work, be
well-paid for doing it, and not consider someone crazy when they are
successful in attaining something you don't think you can.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."